#clearthelist

Do you like to read how other people study languages? What they do on a daily basis, what resources they use? I for one love to follow YouTube channels, read blog posts and even tweets about language learning and people’s journey to fluency.

Recently I discovered Clear the List and I loved it so much that I decided to clear my own list as well! Especially so because I often get the question: how can you study/maintain all these languages? Where do you find the time? Well … here!

I didn’t do a lot in June, because I had an enormous translation project, so all my energy went into that. But … July is just around the corner and that’s always a bit more relaxed for me (workwise that is). I plan to do a lot! However … I have a shoulder operation mid July and I might either be in too much pain to do anything, let alone study languages, or all might go well and I will have a week off with nothing to do, except for languages. Fingers crossed!

My overall plan for this summer is to write a blog post in each of my target languages (I already regret writing this … what if I don’t have time or have no inspiration …).

These are my plans for July!

French-English-German: I work as a freelance translator and these are my main source languages. I don’t really actively maintain them. I get enough practice on a daily basis and my level in all 3 of them is very high.

I have planned a half hour conversation on italki in all 3 languages in July.

I would like to read a French novel (because I translate a lot of French books and I’m like Pavlov’s dog, French books equal work and every now and then I would like to just enjoy a French book – Musso or Marc Levy are always good options and the local library is stacked). Maybe watch an episode of my favourite French history show.

And German? Definitely needs a bit more TLC, but I have no idea where to start. There is a new season of Weissensee available on Netflix, so I will probably watch that (perfect for after my shoulder op). I was pleasantly surprised after my first italki class a few months ago, that my German wasn’t as rusty as I thought it would have been.

Danish: weeeeell … What’s the situation with Danish? I do speak it, but I have a horrible accent and therefore try to avoid speaking it (I know, stupid). I haven’t found any good italki teacher yet. In July I have planned a class with yet another teacher and we’ll see how that goes. In the meantime, I might pick up my Danish Tutor again and I have a Danish grammar lying around somewhere.

I have quite some novels in Danish that I haven’t read yet, so I could do that as a summer project. My goal is to feel more comfortable speaking Danish by the end of summer.

Spanish: I had planned to finish the B2.1 textbook this schoolyear (Sept.-June) but I didn’t. Let’s try and do that over the summer. It only contains 6 units, so it is actually half a textbook and I think my level is a lower B2 already. I spent all my time revising the B1 textbook. I really have to get over my fear of progressing, I keep reviewing everything I have learned and don’t really dare to go to the next level (not only for Spanish, this seems to be a pattern in all my langauges).

I did however get loads of input via Netflix, books and italki. I even translated my first ever Spanish novel last month.

My plan is to immerse myself in Spanish for a whole week through italki. I have a few tutors and one in particular that I feel really comfortable with and I have booked her for an hour – 5 days in a row. We will focus on a particular grammar – or other – point (such as the use of subjuntivo presente, subjuntivo pasado, idioms, accent …), but first and foremost on conversation skills. I do feel that they have improved compared to the beginning of the schoolyear (which is September) and I want to keep that momentum going.

I have ordered the first book of the series Valeria (Elisabet Benavent) in Spanish. If it is good, I will order the rest as well and make that my reading project for this summer. I saw the Netflix series and it was fun (although the plot is quite weak, but hey, I’m watching to improve my Spanish, right?).

Italian: the same here, I also plan on immersing myself for a week in Italian – probably in August. As for Spanish I now have a few Italian italki teachers and I will also book them for an hour 5 days in a row.

I watched a lot of Netflix in June and passively picked up a lot of phrases (and some not so useful vocabulary for daily situations). My skills have improved a lot, I notice, I don’t rely heavily on the subtitles anymore (although I still use them). I did my first ever Italian translation job in June and it went a lot better than expected.

I wanted to finish Nuovo Espresso 3 this school year and … I didn’t. I stranded on unit 9. But overall this has been a good year for Italian – considering I started in October 2017, which is not even 3 years ago. My level has increased considerably to a strong B1 and I am able to have a 45 minute conversation with my italki tutor.

If any of you can recommend a good Italian book, please do!

Plans for the summer: finish Nuovo Espresso 3 and review all vocab. Start Nuovo Espresso 4.

Afrikaans: I focussed a lot on Afrikaans in December and January, reached a solid A2 (because it is very similar to my native language Flemish – or Dutch from Belgium) and took some italki classes. This was fun and I improved my speaking skills. However the classes were not what I expected them to be. We mainly talked and had fun but she didn’t really ‘teach’ me anything … I now book classes with another teacher and she is great! We discuss a text in Afrikaans, she corrects my pronunciation and mistakes. I feel really comfortable and plan on booking more lessons with her over the summer.

Goals for July: reach unit 15 in Teach Yourself. Book at least 2 italki classes and finish the book I’m reading, Diamante in die stof.

Bulgarian: my regular italki teacher is currently not teaching anymore, so I had to find a new one. Now taking classes with Nina. Very refreshing. She really teaches me Bulgarian (instead of having a conversation, like I did with my previous teacher, who was really good by the way, my speaking skills improved so much).

For July I hope to review my A1 course (I reached an A2 but then didn’t do any Bulgarian for more than 6 months). So review that, take maybe 2 italki classes and really internalize everything. Hopefully in August I can start reviewing A2 thoroughly.

I have bought a fairytale by a famous Bulgarian writer and I will try to read a chapter or two in that, see what I can understand (hopefully this is not going to be a disappointment …).

Luxembourgish: June has been a very busy month and I wasn’t able to keep my learning routine up to speed. I had planned to finish the A2 course in June, but unfortunately I didn’t. Let’s make this my goal for July. I have about 8 lessons left (out of 20, so I didn’t do all that bad in June).

Apart from that I also plan on having 2 or 3 italki classes, depending on how I feel after my operation. The tutors on italki are very good and the combination with Luxembourgish with Anne works really well.

As a whole, I want to be able to have a 15 minute conversation in Luxembourgish with my teacher at the end of the summer. I also want to review A1 and A2 of Luxembourgish with Anne and everything I have studied in Assimil A grande vitesse. I don’t really want to make a lot of progress this summer, I prefer to go over everything again so that all of the vocabulary and the grammar is strongly internalized – because I feel that I don’t really ‘know’ everything, if you know what I mean. This would still mean an A2 end of August, after just 4,5 months of studying by then. Not bad, I would say.

Icelandic: I really have no idea. There doesn’t seem to be any structure in my language learning. I use a few books (you can check my blog post here on learning Icelandic) and seem to be going over the same stuff again and again. It feels like I am not making any progress (which really, I am, if I look back at where I came from – nothing, I started from scratch …). So I don’t know. I guess I will just continue doing what I’m doing and slowly become better. I do plan however on taking italki classes with Magnus and Thora this summer and hopefully be able to have a little conversation, let’s say 5 minutes, completely in Icelandic, by the end of August.

I really really love Icelandic and I don’t want to ruin it by focussing too much on making progress. I want to take things slowly with this language and make sure I get all the grammar (which is complicated, I guess I don’t have to tell you that) and slowly feel comfortable in speaking a bit.

I deliberately won’t write any summer goals for Íslenska, but you can follow my blog posts and see what I will be doing this summer.

What are your plans for the summer? Are you going to focus on language learning or will you take a break during the summer?


Reacties

  1. Great list and you inspire me to write my own... hopefully somewhere next week. :-) Weissensee is beautiful, loved everything about that series. And I was thinking... - "call me crazy, verrückt, folle, tosset, matta" ;-) - when I was in Luxembourg, last year, I bought a children's book about Melusina. Mostly illustrations, around 1500w in total, I'd guess. Would you like to translate it together? Into English, French or Dutch? I could send you pictures of the pages and we could make a nice little project out of it. If you like - just an idea, of course. Love your blog! Best wishes, Martine

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Thank you! Glad you love my blog :-)
    Weissensee was indeed great, I enjoyed season 3; unfortunately only 6 episodes ...

    What a great idea to translate the Luxembourgish book, YES i would love to that, just let me know if you still want to go ahead!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Een reactie posten

Populaire posts van deze blog

Ech léiere Lëtzebuergesch

How to fit 11 languages into your daily routine

Ég er að læra íslensku